Lagosians were left stranded on Tuesday morning following the suspension of Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) operations across the state.
As early as 6 am, Hundreds of commuters were seen at various bus shelters waiting endlessly for the buses just as commercial drivers seized the occasion to increase fares exorbitantly on the route.
One of the company in charge of the BRT in the state, Primero, took the decision following the gruesome murder of Oluwabamise Ayanwole, who was abducted and killed after boarding a BRT vehicle last week.
Spokesman of Primero Transport Services Ltd, Mr Mutiu Yekeen told Vanguard that the operations of BRT were suspended in the state over the fear of attack on their buses and staff.
He added that BRT buses have been moved from their terminals across the state owing to the unfortunate incident.
The Primero official, however, said that BRT services would be restored as soon as the matter has been handled by the state government.
“The Primero Transport Services Ltd. uses this medium to inform our commuters on the Ikorodu to TBS corridor that we are shutting down operations from March 31, due to operational challenges.
“We hope to resolve it in the next couple of days and resume full operations. We call on our esteemed commuters to bear with us during this period. We sincerely crave your indulgence for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
“Our priority is to convey commuters safely to their destinations, provide affordable, fast and convenient services to people of Lagos 24/7 daily,”